Saturday 6 September 2014

Christie's Corner

Every month as part of my regular blogging, I shall bring you a dedicated post to all things Agatha Christie known as Christie's Corner.
So let's begin with an overview of her books, and my personal favourites.

Favourite recurring character?

My favourite character who appears in more than one book is Ariadne Oliver (portrayed by Zoe Wanamaker in the TV series, Agatha Christie's Poirot). The first full length novel she appears in is Cards on the Table (1936).
Mrs Oliver in Dead Man's Folly
Her profession as a mystery novelist means she feels she is very experienced and able at solving crimes. However fiction is lot different from 'real life' and she doesn't find it as easy as she thought.
I think she makes a perfect comic partner to Poirot, and provides a lot of light-hearted humour.

Favourite detective?

I know most people here would pick Poirot, but I am going to be a little different and choose Tommy and Tuppence. I think N or M? is a perfect example of fifth column worries during the Second World War, and makes a great spy novel.

Christie choose to show the husband and wife ageing as their books went along. So The Secret Adversary (1922) shows the couple as young keen sleuths, who form a detective agency together.
The four further books to feature them show their relationship, as they marry, have children and then settle down into retirement.

I am very excited about the upcoming BBC adaptation of Partners in Crime, which will star David Walliams as Tommy. Not sure who has been cast to play Tuppence yet.



Favourite short story?

Without a doubt it is Yellow Iris, which features Hercule Poirot and was first published in 1937. If you haven't read it, you simply must buy the book Problem at Pollensa Bay which is a collection of short stories.
The TV adaptation of the book is also one of the high points of the series, and is well worth watching.







Favourite Miss Marple story?

It would have to be The Mirror Crack'd from Side to Side, from  1962. Although many people might say the quality of writing dropped off as Christie became older, I think this book is an exception.




Favourite Poirot story?

This is such a hard one! My first thought was Death in the Clouds (1935) but then I enjoyed reading so many books! Death on the Nile (1937) is fantastic, as I love the exotic setting and there is a great collection of characters.
I have a soft spot for Dead Man's Folly (1956), which also includes Ariadne Oliver. I can't pick!
The top 3



Least favourite?

Passenger to Frankfurt was Agatha Christie's eightieth book, published in 1970, and it is an example of just how much the quality deteriorated. I have tried to bring myself to read it many times, and it is so bad. The storyline is ridiculous, the characters are unbelievable and it is a chore to read.



If you could only read one book?

And Then There Were None (1939). I don't remember ever reading a book faster! Unlike Murder on the Orient Express, I had no idea of the solution and I couldn't wait to get to the big reveal.
It does not disappoint, and it is clear to me why this out of all her novels is the best-selling.

The BBC are going to show a three part adaptation of the book in 2015, so keep a look out for that!



Do you agree or disagree with any of my choices? Please leave a comment!

4 comments:

  1. I am way far behind in all things blog related, but I had to stop by and tell you how much I have enjoyed your first posts on your blog. I am a fan of Agatha Christie also, and I am also behind on reading her books. In 2014 I have read none, I meant to read one a month.

    I also liked the post that mentioned the Tintin books. I had not even thought of them as mysteries; it has been so long since I have read any. I had my son pull out some he has for me to look at.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is so nice to hear, thank you! It is wonderful to know I have a blog reader :)

      Good to hear from a fellow Agatha Christie fan, I look forward to seeing how you get on with your challenge :)

      Enjoy Tintin! They are great books to read at any age.

      Delete
  2. I really enjoyed this post. I absolutely adore Ariadne she's fabulous. I haven't read any Agatha in years and definitely need to go back through, this has given me the motivation I needed! Lucy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am also called Lucy :-)
      I do love Ariadne, mainly because of how she is portrayed in the TV series. She infuriates Poirot but usually steers him onto the right track.
      So glad you liked my post, thanks for the comment!

      Delete